Official Web Site of the
Samuel Rose Parkinson
Last Updated: 10 January 2012
Samuel Rose Parkinson was born April 12, 1831 in Barrowford, Lancashire, England, and died May 23, 1919 in Preston, Idaho, USA. As a boy he moved with his family to Sydney, Australia, then Valparaiso, Chile, then to England again, and finally to St. Louis, Missouri, where he got his start in life as a drayman. After converting to The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, he drove his mule team to Utah Territory, where he settled in Kaysville, Utah, and was later a pioneer in Franklin, Idaho.
Samuel worked as a farmer, rancher, constable, storekeeper, and trader, ran a woollen mill, and had an interest in a silver mine. He served an exploration mission for the Church in Arizona, joined the United Order, had three wives and thirty-two children, and served a term in the Idaho State Penitentiary in Boise for his beliefs. He spent his retirement in the Logan Temple and did the work for hundreds of his ancestors and relatives.
|Arabella Ann Chandler
||Charlotte Elizabeth Smart
||Maria Hayter Smart
Why the "Samuel Rose Parkinson" Family Organization?
We love and want to honor all our pioneer ancestors equally. We're specifically interested in Samuel, Arabella, Charlotte, Maria, their children, and their children's spouses—all our aunts and uncles. As Samuel said, there are no "half" siblings in our family. The organization is named for Samuel because he's the one all of us cousins have in common!
Please watch this space for announcments over the next days and weeks. The new family organization board has yet to meet a second time to organize. Items on the agenda:
- The change to the bylaws to make the Samuel Rose Parkinson Family Organization an umbrella society with tax-exempt status.
- Prepare a reprint of Lester Taylor's Samuel Rose Parkinson: Portrait of a Pioneer
- Prepare an electronic edition of Preston Parkinson's Samue Rose Parkinson: Roots and Branches (not to be made available until the print version sells out)
- Staffing a Genealogy Committee to review Parkinson genealogy.
- Staffing a Descendancy Committee to find all of Samuel R.'s descendants.
- Recruiting a Webmaster and updating this site.
- Obviously we need some volunteers! Write the webmaster (see below) to lend your hand to some worthy causes!
New Book Available
The Journals of Samuel Rose Parkinson, edited by Benson Y. Parkinson, features color images of each page of Samuel's journals, together with a faithful transcript.
A full-color proof was on display at the reunion held July 23, 2011, in Salt Lake City. The book sells for $149 through Lulu.com. Procedes will go toward donating copies of the book to research libraries.
Load Lulu.com and your browser and search on Samuel Rose Parkinson, or use this direct link to order.
Learn more about Samuel Rose Parkinson
What's New Since the Last Update
- Added photos of William and George (Jan 2012)
- Announced journals publication (2 Oct 2011)
- Added four journals (29 Dec 2010)
- Maintenance update—changed contact information (13 Mar 2010)
- Added histories of Fred and Bessie from Katie Spjut (11 Sep 2007)
- Added photos of Fred and family from Yvonne Parkinson (20 Feb 2006)
- Added photos of monuments from Ben Parkinson, and of Samuel and sons from Eric Parkinson (19 Feb 2006)
- Added SRP journal to 1876 (11 Feb 2006)
- Added photos of Samuel R.., Arabella family, and Vivian and family (23 Oct 2005)
- Added history of Susanna Parkinson Nielson (25 Sep 2005)
- Added DUP photo of Maria and family tree, updated guestbook (9 Apr 2005)
- Added photos of Leona and Walter P. Monson and of Samuel P. Cowley (19 Feb 2005)
- Added survey and guestbook forms, plus added pictures to Ben's histories of SRP and Arabella (22 Jan 2005)
- Added LaRue Bates's obituary (5 Jul 2004)
- Added new photo of Franklin's family (13 Jun 2004)
- Added additional "Hunt the Buffalo" notation files (17 Feb 2004)
- Added letter from William C. Parkinson (3 Feb 2004)
- Corrected "Fanny" to "Ann" in SRP & Charlotte shot (18 Oct 2003)
- Added photos of Samuel, Arabella, and Charlotte Pratt's family (31 Aug 2003)
- Restructured Charlotte Pratt page (22 Aug 2003)
- Added photos of Charlotte C. P. Pratt (14 Aug 2003)
- replaced photos from Franklin Relic Hall (14 Aug 2003)
- Added David P. Parkinson history of SRP (5 Apr 2003)
- Added photos of Hazel (more to come) (16 Feb 2003)
- Added IDs for photo of five kids in front of family tree (8 Feb 2003)
- Added Preston Parkinson obituary (31 Dec 2002)
- Added final SRP journal (working backwards) (9 Nov 2002)
- Added final versions of Ben's histories of Samuel and Arabella (7 Oct 2002)
- Added many photos from Clarence Parkinson family (7 Sep 2002)
- Moved to new service provider (1 Aug 2002)
- Added a little to William C.'s page (30 Jun 2002)
- Replaced various photos (I'm getting better at retouching) (20 Jun 2002)
- Added a photo of Samuel and one of Arabella (15 Jun 2002)
- Added Illustrated History of Idaho history of Samuel (25 May 2002)
- Added 1966 family group sheets, songs, and Smart prints (21-24 Apr 2002)
- Updated Ben's histories of Samuel and Arabella (14 Apr 2002)
- Added Nelson history of Samuel's Arizona mission. (27 Feb 2002)
- Added Arabella obituary. (19 Feb 2002)
- Updated Hunter Cannon link; tweaks. (26 Jan 2002)
- Added histories of Samuel C. Parkinson. (19 Jan 2002)
Contact Ben Parkinson, webmaster, at "feedback at parkinsonfamily.org" (replace "at" with "@").